Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tapering. . .

Today's Mileage: Rest Day
Days until the Marathon: 16

Yesterday afternoon I was looking on the Walt Disney World Marathon web page hoping I'd calm my nerves. . . it seems that with each passing day I get more and more nervous about running the full 26 miles. . . it'd be wonderful to know if other people felt the same way before their first marathon. . .

At this point, the training is done. . . the taper has begun and I think that is where this unending sense of nervousness is coming from. . . the fact that I can no longer go out and run 20 miles to make sure I am ready because that would only hurt me. . . Yes, I know I have three 20 mile runs under my belt which is 3 more than many people at the starting line would have done. . . but for me. . . I feel like it wasn't enough. . . and it is now too late to go back. There's a quote "anyone can run 20 miles. . . it is the next 6 that count" and maybe that is the source of my nerves. . . the fact that past the 20 mile mark. . . I don't know what is to come, except for what will more than likely be the hardest 6 miles of my life. . .

I was looking over the course map and although I have run the half marathon in Disney World 3 times and know pretty much the first 13 miles, the uncertainty of the next 13 miles is somewhat reassuring- I don't know what is coming, despite listening to my dad's version of what happened. . . looking back on any race there are parts that are boring, but for me, it is all new. . . and very scary. It will be awesome to say I've done a marathon, especially considering only about 2% of the population will ever run a marathon in their lives, this is just my first. . . and despite this nervousness I feel. . . I know no matter how shitty I feel when I am done. . . that I will begin the search for where I will run my next marathon.

Hopefully I will feel better as the days pass and I become more relaxed. . . at least I hope. . . I wish I could just go out and run whenever I feel like it for reassurance, but I can't. . . many people say the taper is the worst part of training because you can't run. . . and I couldn't agree more.

Until next time. . .

No comments: