Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dedicating my Hartford miles. . .

Before running the Disney Marathon in January, I dedicated each of my miles because there were countless people who inspired, encouraged, or were just there for me on the road to training for that marathon. I decided this is something I will do before every marathon because it helps me while running and there are always people who make a difference in my running and my life while I am training. Many miles will be dedicated to the same people, however, it is always good to remind the important people in my life that they have helped me in some way. You will see a recurring theme- people who have made a difference in my life because of the strength they have shown in their own. . . strength is what I will need tomorrow and I truly admire each and everyone of the people below.

1- My dad- because without him, I would have never had the courage or determination to begin my training.

2- My Mom- my best friend.

3, 4- Melissa and Tracy- my sisters.

5- Dr. Goldgeier and Karen Landt- I truly believe these doctors saved my life. When I first saw them I was so sick, and they did everything to make me better.

6- Dr. Milstone- for doing everything to keep me healthy.

7- My Grandpa- because no matter what, when I cross the finish line, I remember him being there at my first race and I know he would be there at every one if he could.

8- My Gramma whose courage and strength during her illness helped me get through my own.

9- Danners- who will someday run a marathon and understand why it is necessary to dedicate miles to get you through.

10- Meggers- the best sister in law ever who I know will have to deal with working around my training schedule when we open our business! ;-)

11- Zachers- because your my lil bro!

12- Kylers- because your strength is admirable.

13- Yanners- because your stories are entertaining enough to keep me smiling as I pass the halfway mark.

14- Jenners- the newest member of our game night crew who finds everything fun. . . I just hope I find this mile fun!

15- Rachelers- who always has the greatest shoes on that I wish I could wear. . . but know that it would heighten my risk of injury prior to a marathon. . . so I don't. . . I will live vicariously though admiring your fabulous shoes. . . and think of rewarding myself with a pair if I make it through the next 11 miles!

16- For Patients of Scleroderma- I admire your strength and courage and the thought of that will get me through the next 10.

17- Sister Pat- May you rest in peace. You are the reason that I am a music teacher and will always remember you for your neverending kindness and constant giving.

18- For me- This is the furthest distance I ran in training for this marathon. . . so this mile is all for me.

19- For Maria- a former student whose strength, courage, and determination are stronger than any 10 year old's that I have ever met. . . or my own. I admire her for being so postive despite everything life has thrown at her and always keeping her chin up. . . she is truly a hero in my eyes.

20- For Laura- I love you like a sister and you are stronger than I think I will ever be. Thank you for everything.

21- For Marissa- You defied odds at the beginning of your life when the whole world was bigger than you. You were a miracle and I am blessed to have you in my life!

22- For Anarion- our cat- who still doesn't care that I am sweaty at the end of a long run and wants to cuddle and curl up on my lap.

23- For Julio- a student of mine who will never understand what a marathon is or be able to run one, but will always look at me, smile as big as possible and say "Boom chicka Boom!" That smile and his excitement is enough to get me through what is sure to be a difficult mile.

24- For anyone who has never run a marathon but has always wanted to- get up and do it, although it is painful and you completely beat up your body. . . the reward is greater than anything.

25- For all of my students because although they complain to me about running the mile and never understand how I can run 26, I know that if they knew what it would mean to me, they would be at mile 25 to run the last mile of the race with me. They make more of a difference in my life than they will ever know.

And last. . . but certainly not the least:

26- For my husband, AJ because I know he will be waiting for me at the finish line and no matter what the clock says. . . he will be proud of me. The thought of seeing him will get me through when I feel as though I can't take another step. I love you with all my heart.



Well- that is all. The marathon is tomorrow and I will run each mile keeping these people in mind. You have all gotten me here, now it is up to me to get me through 26 miles with each of you in mind. Thank you all for your support, encouragement, and love. You all mean the world to me.

Until my post-marathon blog. . .

Happy Running!

No comments: