Monday, October 6, 2008

Marathon Week!

Frank Shorter once said, "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."

On Saturday, I will run my second marathon. Although the memories of my last marathon are still in my head, I have forgotten all the bad and have taken only the good, and learned from it. I know I am more prepared for this than my last mainly because I am still strong from my summer training. I know I am physically prepared, and dad has reassured me of this, but it is the mental aspect. Running a marathon is 90% mental. . . and non-marathoners will say the runner is simply mental, but in all honesty, it takes a lot of mental training to run 26.2 miles. . . willingly! Not only that, but to do it after already doing it before. After my first marathon, I could have easily said, never doing that again. But I finished and was already talking about doing another one the very next day. Obviously, there was something worthwhile.

As I rest as much as I can this week in preparation for Saturday's big race, I will do a lot of mental training. The physical part is done. . . now it is simply reassuring myself that I can do it- and I know I can, but like most runners during marathon week. . . you can't help but question yourself and if you worked hard enough. I am ready for it and know that even if I struggle, there are 3000 other people who feel exactly the same way!

Marathon Mile dedications coming later this week!

Happy Running!



No comments: