Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"GOOD LUCK MISS MARTIN!"

I went to work this morning thinking it would be like any other Tuesday, except this one was before leaving for a marathon, so I was excited and looking forward to the day being over.

Well, once morning announcements were done, I knew my day would be changed. Dawn (my principal) made an announcement to the entire school, telling the students to wish me luck and congratulations when they saw me today because I would be running in the Walt Disney World Marathon on Sunday.

WOW! I was surprised at this announcement, but I can't tell you how much it changed my outlook.

As I was on my way to the dining room to meet my students, I got at least 3 good lucks in the hall and they kept coming all day. I happened to be by the door when the fifth graders were going out for recess and it was a procession of about 180 students saying good luck to me. These well wishes went on all day- my favorite coming from the young ones who didn't quite understand and said "Happy disney race!" At the end of the day, during bus duty, I got many more- some even coming from students yelling out open windows of the bus as it was pulling away. These well wishes left me feeling nothing short of wonderful.

Yes, I realize I have been getting these wishes for a while now, but I don't know what it is about hearing these things from kids who can barely fathom running one mile yet alone 26. The sincerity of their well wishes and how excited they were was that final boost of confidence i have been waiting for. Regardless of how much I will tell them or whether they know or understand it or not- those good lucks will carry me through the toughest parts of the race and I will never forget them.

I am ready for this race and what awaits me in those 26.2 magical miles in Disney World and I cannot wait to be one of the thousands of people running through Disney on Sunday morning.

Love and hugs to all! Until Sunday!

No comments: